ArtWaves is happy to announce the return of sell out artist Robert Dutton (who is a regular contributor to 'The Artist' magazine) for the first of two exciting mixed media workshops are sure to inspire students once more!
As a mixed media specialist, Robert will expertly guide you through a variety of exciting creative techniques to help you create beautiful paintings that are sure to surprise by being filled with eye catching use of colour. Using Watercolour/Gouache, and soft pastel learn how to use 'big brush techniques’ with a focus on suggested detail with glazing and layering to create an exciting Bluebell woodland full of dappled light and shade.
You will be shown in regular demonstrations how to mix those tricky greens in an exciting layering process so all the media used work together to make your paintings stand out from the crowd!
What you need to bring with you:
- Gouache or watercolour
- Tube paints in the following colours highly recommended or bring your own favourite colours if you don’t want to buy all of these but these are Roberts palette colours and he will be using them: Magenta, Winsor Violet, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Orange, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Qiunacridone Gold, Lemon Yellow, Viridia, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, Winsor Blue, Prussian Blue, Ultramarine, Indigo, Yellow Ochre, Winsor Green.
- Permanent White Gouache. Essential!
- Masking fluid and an old painting brush to apply it.
- Large drawing board and easel (your own choice)
- Soft and hard pastels (of your choice) different colours,
- A variety of different watercolour brushes.
- Essential: large brushes such as sizes 24, 30 round and 1 and 2 inch 'flats’, Swordliner (large) and above in size
- Bring your own favourite brushes too but the large brushes are essential!!
- An old hog brush or tooth brush for textured paint effects,
- Water Spray atomiser,
- Old jam jars (for clean water mixing),
- White old ceramic plates on which to mix your paints or equivalent - several of them please
- Kitchen roll,
- Masking tape,
- Bulldog clips,
- Watercolour paper 300gsm (140lb) 100% rag content paper - essential! Full or half imperial size depending on your preferred working size. Highly recommended Canson Moulin du Roy 'not’ 300gsm (140lb). NOTE: Robert will have some to buy at £5 a full sheet if you don’t want to bring your own 140lb paper.
- Graphite stick - 4B,
- An eraser
- Pastel fixative (essential),
- Soft and hard pastels to include darks but not blacks - highly recommended Unison Colour 'Midnight Set’, Unison Colour pastels and Rembrandt harder pastels