Learn how to paint a wonderful expressive mixed media painting expressing low-tide beach textures in stunning coastal light with watercolour, gouache and soft and hard pastels, in a multi-layered painting.
Utilising the natural texture of Canson Moulin du Roy 'not' 300gsm (140lb) watercolour paper, learn how to combine lots of different media together using spontaneous marks, to create a really exciting atmospheric end result.
Using big brushes and expressive mark-making techniques, this great workshop will help you quickly gain confidence and control with clean colour mixing by both drawing and painting at the same time with brush, paint and pastel.
We will be using gravity to paint with as well in this workshop - working vertically, tipping the board, angling it and so on, so this workshop is not for the timid or faint-hearted! The emphasis is on the experimental, working with the marks you create, having flexibility with yourself to work with your painting to take a different direction than first anticipated or planned, and thus making the painting more exciting as a result!
With regular demonstrations, one-to-one and group tuition throughout your workshop you will learn lots to help you really develop as an artist working with like minded-friendly people throughout the day.
Suitable for improvers and artists with some previous painting experience who want to loosen up their style and be more free and very expressive!
What you need to bring with you:
- Large drawing board (size depending on how you like to work).
- Masking tape.
- Your own good-quality reference photos of low-tide with rocks and textures to work from. A4 good-quality printouts highly recommended. Some will be provided to work from but have to be returned at the end of the workshop.
- Canson Moulin du Roy 'rough' 300gsm (140lb) watercolour paper highly recommended. As Robert is a UK Canson Ambassador you can purchase your paper directly from Robert on the day if you wish. £5 per sheet 22 x 30 inches full Imperial
- Gouache and/or Watercolour TUBE PAINTS (your own favourite colours).
- Large watercolour brushes (approximately 'size 30 round'), large mops, hakes and so on highly recommended.
- Large containers or palletes with large wells to mix your paints.
- Permanent White Gouache is ESSENTIAL!
- Medium-sized old ceramic WHITE PLATES on which to mix your paints (or similar).
- An easel of your choice HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- Old jam jars or water storage containers for colour mixing.
- Separate containers for PAINT POURING - eg. washed out yoghurt pots will do.
- Scrap paper - A4 envelope size recommended.
- An old hog brush.
- A THICK DUST SHEET IS ESSENTIAL! Maybe you want to bring an apron too!
- Masking fluid - ESSENTIAL!
- Note book and camera (if you want to bring for notations both written and visual).
- Protective folder to take your work home.
- Soft and hard pastels - highly recommended Unisoncolour and Royal Talens Rembrandt. Colour choice and quantity your own decision.